[Fot] Mazda Gearbox

Bill Babcock Billb at bnj.com
Thu Oct 2 12:04:42 MDT 2008

Toyota gearboxes are always a nice option, robust as hell though a bit
heavy. I put an entire 2TG drivetrain (A domestic Japan version of the
ubiquitous 2TC engine)  into my old TR3 for awhile. Pretty nice, DOHC
2 liter four cylinder motor with mikuni-solex sidedraft carbs, five
speed box and a LSD rear end. Rated at 190HP in Japan with limited
environmental stuff.  Had to narrow the rear end a bit and add lots of
carriers and brackets, but it was an easy conversion that only took a
couple of days for the entire thing.  Whenever I'd open the hood all
the triumph faithful would gag and run in little circles, but I never
really had to open the hood--it just ran and ran, and was super quick,
it would blow the doors off almost any street car in a stoplight drag.
Then I decided to make a vintage racer out of it, and all the reliable
stuff had to go.

On Oct 2, 2008, at 9:35 AM, Ed Diehl wrote:

> Hi, Dan. Some years ago I Iinstalled a Toyota GT gearbox in the GP
> Spit that I raced at the time and it was a very good  conversion. It
> was nec. to make up a plate to go between the Spit bellhousing and
> the trans and do a little grinding an the splines, but not too
> dificult to handle. The trans is a 5 speed so we needed to lock out
> 1st gear (easy) to make it SCCA legal.. Makes a very durable setup
> and only needed synchros one time in 5 years. Might be worth your
> consideration. Cheers, Ed.
>
> Ed Diehl

Bill Babcock
Babcock & Jenkins