[Fot] FW: More Oil Info

Norlin Engineering norlinengineering at comcast.net
Fri Mar 16 11:21:33 MDT 2007

Forwarded by request - This was sent out yesterday to an informal group of
Pacific Northwest Vintage Racers.  Some of it we have already seen, but some
is new to me at least.

Jim Norlin

Another non synthetic oil that still has the "good" additives is Shell
Rotella.  Comp Cam and Crane both make a break in additive to make sure that
whatever oil you use does not wipe the cam lobes during break in.  JEG"S has
it at about $8.00 a pint.

The additives have changed due to increased pressure from the Feds on
immisions and heavy metals.  Zink is not the only additive to get reduced.

the critical time is for break in, but engines such as our racing engines
likely will suffer higher wear during their life cycle with many of the new
oil formulations.

CompCam did Tech bulletin #225 on 4-10-06 on this subject.  I am attaching
it as a PDF file but it may not be accepted by the talk line.
Here is a link:
<http://www.compcams.com/information/whatsnew/NewsDetails.asp?ListHistoryID=
1821071676>

anyone that does not get it and is interested in seeing it e mail me direct
and off the vintage line and I will be happy to forward it to you directly.
It is very interesting.

Another long but informative article on current oil problems can be
found here.   www.lnengineering.com/oil.html.

Also, anyone on the Friends of Triumph line might want to forward this to
that group as I am not a member and this message will be rejected by their
monitor.

Bottom line is that many current oils are not good for flat tappet break in,
even with the highest API ratings!  They are also doubtful for maximum life
in a racing engine.

Larry Dent