[Fot] Toyo hot/cold tire pressures

Norlin Engineering norlinengineering at comcast.net
Mon Jul 30 16:13:42 MDT 2007

I used to do a lot of engineering and chassis tuning for one of the top Club
FF teams here in the Northwest.  That was back when 25-30 car fields were
the norm.
 If you were working with a driver that could run at the front of this field
(staying in the lead draft), then fine tuning of the tire pressures was a
must.  We'd adjust to 1/2 PSI. If the driver was a couple of seconds off the
pace, they couldn't tell the difference of a couple of PSI as long as the
balance was close.

Of course this was on bias ply tires.  I've heard that radials are more
forgiving, but I think we need to hear from a tire engineer to be sure of
that.

The other thing that was needed was to purge the tires with dry nitrogen.
Otherwise there was no consistency, particularily here in the NW with our
moist air.

Like Bill says below, we'd check the pressure hot and then see what it
dropped to when cold to get a good starting spot.  The best way to check hot
is during a practice session coming in straight off a hot lap, same as tire
temps.  We used the wear pattern as much if not more than the pyrometer to
determine camber settings.

Finally, if a car looses it's balance and the normal adjustments don't seem
to work right, it's time for new tires.  It's impossible to set up a car on
bad rubber.

Jim Norlin