[Fot] AMB TRANX 260 Transponder

BillDentin at aol.com BillDentin at aol.com
Thu Jul 26 09:46:14 MDT 2007

In a message dated 07/26/2007 10:30:55 AM Central Daylight Time,
S.Janzen at comcast.net writes:

> There's got to be a good business in making substitute devices somehow.
> You
> know these little buggers don't cost that much to make.  Is this a
> conspiracy between the clubs and the mfr where the individual devices/racers
>
> subsidize the cost of the monitoring equipment, so that what the T&S group
> has to buy is cheap, or is AMB just making lots of money?

I suspect, "YES" is the proper response to your questions and statements.

Monopolies are terrible (unless, of course, you're in on them).

In their defense I am sure they had R&D expenses and extraordinary start up
costs getting the universal acceptance.  I think at some point any legal
protection they enjoy will cease and alternatives will surface.  But in the interim,
there is no question that it is a nifty system far superior to what we used
to deal with.  Having sufficient workers at our events is an ongoing problem,
and the AMB Timing & Scoring system sure helps there.

Bill Dentinger