[Fot] Odd request

spyderweb at uwalumni.com spyderweb at uwalumni.com
Wed Jul 18 22:55:46 MDT 2007

Quoth "Mark J. Bradakis" <mark at bradakis.com>:

> Is there a company still selling Strohs beer out there?

As always, the answer is "yes and no".

 From Wikipedia:

The end finally came on February 8, 1999, when word came down from
Stroh headquarters that the 149 year-old brewer was selling its labels
to the Pabst Brewing Company and Miller Brewing Company. John Stroh
III, now company president and chief executive, said of the decision
to sell: "Emotionally, it was an extremely difficult one to make,
knowing that it would impact our loyal employees, and recognizing that
it would mean the end of our family's centuries old brewing tradition
that had become, in essence, an important part of our identity.

After its disolution in 2000, some Stroh brands were discontinued,
while others were purchased by other breweries. The Pabst Brewing
Company acquired the most Stroh/Heilman brands. They currently produce
Colt 45 malt liquor, Lone Star, Schaefer, Schlitz, Schmidt's, Old
Milwaukee, Old Style, Stroh's, and St. Ides. The Miller Brewing
Company got Mickey's Malt Liquor and Henry Weinhard's. Most other
Stroh/Heileman brands disappeared after 2000

Jim Hill