[Roadsters] rear end removal

Gordon Glasgow gsglasgow at comcast.net
Thu Sep 8 23:45:42 MDT 2016

is there such a thing as a shock compressor?

Sure, it’s called a floor jack. J

Assuming you don’t have KYB Gas-A-Just shocks or other gas-pressurized shocks, the shocks will hold whatever static position they wind up at. However, when the suspension is at full droop, the shocks are what limit the travel. So here’s what you do.

Jack the car up and put the frame on jack stands. I’m going to assume you’ve already dropped the driveshaft, disconnected the hand brake cable and brake lines, removed the wheels, brakes, backing plates and axles, and maybe removed the gear carrier assembly.

Now place a floor jack under the center of the axle housing and raise it slightly to take the load off the springs. Then undo the four nuts on each side that hold the lower spring plates in place (p/n 25, 26 in this diagram - http://www.carpartsmanual.com/datsun/sports-1965-1970/axle-suspension/rear-suspension). Once these nuts are removed you should be able to swing the plates out of the way without even disconnecting the shocks. Now continue jacking up the axle housing until it is clear of the springs.

Next remove the spring shackles at the rear of the leaf springs and pull the springs down. They’ll probably be reluctant to move, so go ahead and pull down on them.

Once they are out of the way you should be able to pull the axle housing out to the rear of the car. You’ll probably have to compress the shocks to get them up and out of the way, but that can be done by hand.

It’s been quite a few years since I did this, but I think I’ve covered everything. If it’s an early 1600 it shouldn’t have the torque rod between the axle housing and the frame on the upper right like the later cars do.

Gordon Glasgow