[Roadsters] Fwd: Re: Gauges....

Graeme S. graemes at internode.on.net
Thu Oct 30 23:25:15 MDT 2014

Sorry, forgot to send this via the list.

Yes, there is no harm in shorting the rheostat wires together, that is
what the BRIGHT setting does anyway.
Normally the rheostat acts as a series variable resistor, 12V on one end
of the resistor and the other wire on the wiper, attached to the knob,
that goes to all the instrument lights.
You might consider removing the dimmer and squirting it liberally with
electrical contact cleaner.
The resistor windings and wiper are open to the air and can get filthy.
Most Datsuns need a BRIGHTENER not a DIMMER Hehehehehehe!

If you haven't already down loaded a wiring schematic for your car, have
a look in the Tech Wiki of the 311s.org site: -
http://www.311s.org/pmwiki-311/pmwiki.php?n=TechSection.WiringDiagrams
If you need any help interpreting the wiring, let me know

If you replace the globes for new, recommended if you don't know how old
they are, make sure you use the correct ones as far as wattage is concerned.
I used Narva 12V 3W.
Too much heat and there might be melting going on!

Regards,
Graeme S.

nissanman.shutterfly.com