[Roadsters] grounding the gauge voltage regulator

Pat Horne pat at hornesystemstx.com
Wed Jul 31 07:18:39 MDT 2013

Dave,

Thanks for your comment. I know that when I need help, with vehicles or
other things the lists are my best resource, so I feel that since I am
blessed with electrical knowledge, I need to help out.

Since you built a regulator that works, you don't have to do this test,
but I just wanted to get it into the archives.

If you suspect the instrument regulator is bad you can connect the two
leads that go to the regulator together and both instruments should read
higher than they should. This at least shows that the instruments,
senders and wiring is good and that the problem is actually with the
regulator. I had an instrument regulator go out years ago and I found
that the problem was with the rivets that go through the bottom plate of
the regulator to connect the internals to the terminals. Since
everything was brass, or at least solderable, I cleaned both ends of the
rivets and soldered them up. Problem solved. Using the solder as a
structural connection isn't the best idea, I should have run small wires
in and soldered them to both sides.

Thusly spake D Riedel

--
Pat Horne, Owner, Horne Systems
(512) 797-7501 Voice & Text	5026 FM 2001