[Roadsters] grounding the gauge voltage regulator

D Riedel stamuki at gmail.com
Mon Jul 29 11:52:55 MDT 2013

Thanks Pat,

...before I say anything, I want to thank Pat for all his years of offering
Roadster wisdom.  I come and go from this group, but every time I come
back, Pat is still there helping out.  Thank you, Mr. Horne, this community
is very fortunate to have you.

The star washer was a great idea- it clearly bites into the metal nicely.
 However, it failed to solve my problem.  Detaching the VR from the column
and independently grounding didn't work either so it would seem that it's
intermittent, at best. I opened it up and cleaned the area where it grounds
to the case, but still no luck.  The wrapped heater wire is quite brown,
and the connections show a lot of corrosion.  I suppose I could try
bypassing the spade connectors and clip directly to the interior parts just
to see if the posts are the problem...

Meanwhile, I threw together the LM7808 IC solution and got 'almost' correct
readings - the voltage across the solid-state VR was ~10V w/ the alternator
running and 9.4V with the car off.  Not sure how that happens with an 8V ss
reg...  I know that the original VR are temperature compensated.  Is the
solid-state device THAT sensitive to temp?  It was only around 23C when I
was testing it.

-dave
Victoria, BC

--