[Roadsters] carburetor dashpot oil

Pete Peters ppeters914 at comcast.net
Fri Jul 12 16:59:02 MDT 2013

Folks have used:

Motorcycle fork oil
Marvel Mystery oil
Automatic transmission oil
Motor oil

It varies by driving style, climate, and personal preference. I know one
person in Oregon who uses different weight oils for summer and winter driving.

Here's what Keith "Mr. SU" Williams has to say (from the 311s.org TechWiki):

---------------------------
Dashpot Oil

On acceleration the mixture needs to be richer or you will get stumbling. The
oil in the dash pot slows the rise of the piston. The piston being lower than
it wants to be causes the mixture to be rich. Generally speaking you want to
use the thinnest oil that stops stumbling on acceleration. Roadsters tend to
be quite tolerant of running rich so thicker is better than thinner. However,
too thick will over richen and cause the acceleration to feel flat. The
correct thickness will have a crisp acceleration. The factory spec is 10w.
That is in the range of ATF and MMO. 3 in 1 is thinner. In one Z I did I ended
up with 50w before it would accelerate cleanly. The synthetic oils do tend to
be thinner than regular oils so I'm not sure what the real viscosity of the
synthetic is. Motorcycle fork oil works well, comes in convenient bottles, and
in lots of weights. Single weight engine oil comes in 20, 30, 40, and 50
weight but I haven't seen 10w. If you're being fiddly you can mix weights to
come up with in between weights. I use fork oil for the thinner weights and
single weight engine for the thicker.

Hope this helps.

Pete