[Roadsters] Is it a bad fuel pump?

Pat Horne pat at hornesystemstx.com
Wed Jul 10 20:58:56 MDT 2013

Michael,

Since starting fluid doesn't get the car to fire, I believe there is
something else wrong. Starting fluid should make the engine start
without any fuel in the carbs. It may be that there is more than one
thing wrong, but that is a bit unusual for a vehicle that was running
one minute and not the next.

First thing I would check if I suspect a fuel problem is whether or not
there is fuel in the carbs. Take the top off the float chambers and see
how much fuel there is. They should be about half full and the same
amount of fuel in both of them.

Are you using a stock, engine driven fuel pump? If so, connect a length
of fuel line to the outlet of the pump and the other end in an empty
can. Crank the engine and see if any fuel flows out. If there is no flow
out of the pump, try putting fuel into the can and hook a hose to the
pump inlet. Crank the engine and see if you get any flow. If you get
flow this way the problem is between the pump and the pickup in the tank.

If it is an electric pump, also check for power to the pump and ground.

If the fuel pump and carb levels look good, check your ignition system.
Pull the lead from the center of the distributor cap and hold it close
to ground and turn the engine over. You should get sparks.

Check the compression on all cylinders to see if the compression is low.

These are the easy and cheap(er) things that can go wrong.

I wouldn't jump to the dealer to get a fuel pump, they are not cheap and
the dealer will have to order it, so you will just be throwing parts at
the problem and quite possibly missing.

More expensive causes are a timing chain or defective gear causing the
cam to jump a tooth or more.

Once you narrow the problem down it will be easier to find.

Let us know what you find out.

Peace,
Pat

  Thusly spake Michael Knorr

--
Pat Horne, Owner, Horne Systems
(512) 797-7501 Voice & Text	5026 FM 2001