[Roadsters] Rear end seal leak/How to pull the seal?

Keith0alan at aol.com Keith0alan at aol.com
Thu Sep 20 10:00:07 MDT 2012

It isn't terribly hard to do. Last time I checked, Nissan carried the seal.
 Drop the drive shaft and remove the big nut holding the pinion yoke on.
The yoke  will slide off and the seal can be removed and replaced. The yoke
and nut go  back on. In theory you should be good to go. The possible snag is
the pre load.  Using a ruler and a spring scale you can measure the pre
load. If it is correct  life is good. If not there are spacers and shims between
the yoke and  bearing that need adjusted. It is not a crush washer like
many American units.  Mine ended up too tight and I fabricated a new spacer and
lapped it down a  thousandth at a time until the pre load was correct. The
real answer was to  add shims but I could not find any. If you are too loose
there are quite  likely shims there that can be removed. Do not run with it
too tight or you will  have a real job on your hands. Too loose is much
less of an issue.

keith

In a message dated 9/19/2012 9:41:38 P.M. Pacific Daylight Time,