[Roadsters] Watkins Glen 2012

Fred Davidson fred.davidson at diversia.ca
Mon Jul 30 07:33:24 MDT 2012

Hi Joe and Dave:

Good to see somebody step up to "plate"

As I am sure you know, this event was first organized in 1987 by Mike
Jennings from Toronto. I organized the event for about 6 years, and it has
changed little in that time, which is good or bad depending on your view.
Yes, the first Saturday evening gathering was in a cabin at Seneca Lodge,
but the "show and shine" was in the same parking area we use now.

For the "Show & Shine" I like the use of the parking area on Franklin Street
for the visible presence of the Datsuns on the busy street, but not keen on
the parking fees. The Watkins Glen Festival committee have been very
supportive of the roadsters over the years and probably were one of the
forces to have Datsun the Marque last year.

The move of the Saturday evening gathering location to Hazlitt Winery has
been a good move in my opinion.   The Watkins Glen Datsun Roadster meet is
unlike most other Datsun meets as there are lots of interesting things to do
in the area, such as  Vintage Racing at Watkins Glen International, Vintage
airplane museum, many winerys, the Corning Glass works etc  so it is hard to
keep people together.

I would suggest similar event  as in previous years this year and then at
the Saturday night gathering,  either present some new activities to the
group for discussion or just have an open discussion  about what people
want.

I will be in Watkins Glen in 2012, as I have been for every year since 1987
with the same car, well probably 50 to 60 % of the car is the same.

Thanks for taking this on.

Fred

Fred Davidson

'69 Datsun 2000