[Roadsters] More questions

Dana Scribner dscrib2 at hotmail.com
Sat Jul 21 13:11:02 MDT 2012

So I put a B cam in my SU roadster. I went to set the valve at clearance and
looked in my Datsun manual and it said intake 0.012" exhaust 0.008" hot for
some reason ( this is when I get into trouble) I looked in a Chilton manual
and double check that info in another manual I have and they both said the
reverse intake 0.008" exhaust 0.012" hot. I have been using the Datsun setting
for years but I found this interesting. Now for the carb questions. I can get
hem balanced good but I can only get them to idle at 1200-1500 rpm and it
didn't matter if it was with a standard or B cam the problem is the same. When
I try to bring the rpms down and I'm talking a turning the idle screws a very
thin hair the rpms drop to 500 and keeps on going down until it stalls out. I
am running points and the springs in the distributor are new recurved ones and
the weights are correct. The timing is right on without the vacuum attached. I
have sprayed starter fluid around the intake manifold to looking for leaks and
didn't find any. What am I missing or should be looking for. Thanks for all
the help Dana S