[Roadsters] sad story

Fred Katz roadster at astound.net
Thu Jul 19 19:38:08 MDT 2012

I've done hundreds of deals on eBay with few problems. I've run into a few bad
deals. Always do package tracking when you sell, and pack the item securely.
Always require signature upon delivery, as well as insurance when you sell an
expensive item. I had one guy wait several months after a sale before he
demanded a refund for not receiving an item. I produced the proof of signature
at delivery, which proved he signed for it and that shut him up. I keep
organized documentation for years.

As for buying, a seller didn't send the item and didn't respond to multiple
inquiries, so I requested his phone number from eBay. Surprised him when I
called and demanded a refund. He didn't have the item and said he didn't have
the money. I accused him of grand theft and told him the authorities would
deal with him, and eBay gave me a full refund.

A couple other sellers misrepresented their goods, and I worked out
compromises with them (partial or full refunds), and we parted on good terms
with each other. Not all sellers are evil when they fudge the facts, you can
usually work out something with them. One gave a full refund and told me to
keep the item. Another allowed me to choose an alternative item he was
selling, worth twice as much and allowed me to keep the original item.

It's hard for both buyer and seller to return something, so sellers may be
willing to work something out to the buyer's advantage.

Fred -