[Roadsters] Engine ID?

Erik Miller funkaholik at yahoo.com
Thu Apr 12 00:12:50 MDT 2012

So, thanks to list member Karl Lett (Thanks, Karl!!), I acquired a running R16
engine to swap into my long dead 1970 1600. He sold it to me at a great price,
and even brought it over to my girlfriend's garage (Thanks, girlfriend!!).  I
have some questions about the engine, which has a palindromic engine # of  R
25852.  He was unsure of the year of the car it came out of.  Can I determine
the year by engine #?  I checked the registry, and a 1967 car, VIN
SPL311-08544, has engine # R 25807. Pretty close.  Were they installed in
sequence?  Also, would this be an SAE or metric engine?  I pulled a bolt out
and checked it, but it seems to fit both 5/16-18 and M8-1.25 nuts. I want to
make sure that if I need to order parts like fuel pump, etc. that I get the
right ones.  Thanks, everyone, and wish me luck getting her back on the road.
Maybe she'll even be ready for Shasta...
Erik MillerBerkeley, CA, USA