[Roadsters] body-to-muffler gapping, 1" required

O'Farrell, Fergus P (AS) Fergus.OFarrell at ngc.com
Tue Apr 10 09:33:41 MDT 2012

Not to belabor this painful subject, but I also had the "blister the carpet"
scenario when I had exhaust work done way back when.
Luckily, there was a roadster-folk get-together soon after, and when I
mentioned it, Les Cannaday promptly said "Minimum 1" gap required, go back and
get it done ASAP".

The muffler shop did it no problem, no charge.

Never knew how lucky I was until the video of recent events.  While rolling it
is probably no big deal, but stop-and-go traffic means a lot of time to heat
soak.
(same thing we found with composite driveshafts at my old job, it wasn't high
performance driving that would overheat them, it was the drive-up window at
McD's)

Peter, I have an old center console in the garage, although it is without the
foam (tin only).  I recovered mine in leather without the foam (using a pair
of women's leather pants from the Goodwill store, cheapest upholstery material
I've ever bought!) so let me know if you want it, or if you want to come down
we can recover it some weekend.

Fergus O
PS: saw a Fiat 850 coupe on the freeway on Saturday, and fell in love.
Obscenely tiny, makes a roadster look like  '64 caddy !