[Roadsters] Stripped screws

fred.davidson at sympatico.ca fred.davidson at sympatico.ca
Thu Sep 30 18:17:30 MDT 2010

 Hi Dan:

Try drilling the head of the screw with a drill bit just a little larger than
the screw shaft.  Don't get too aggressive, just be patient and the screw head
will come off.  The shaft may fall out the bottom or have to be drilled out
with a bit the same size as the shaft.  In the end you may have to use a
slightly larger screw if the hole has been damaged with the bit.  I have done
this couple times with success.

Fred

> From: d_kroninger at hotmail.com
> To: datsun-roadsters at autox.team.net
> Date: Thu, 30 Sep 2010 12:46:39 -0500
> Subject: [Roadsters] Stripped screws
>
> Hey everyone,
>
> I am trying to remove the center console (arm rest) from my 68 1600 so I
can
> remove the back piece of carpet. All four screws are really really tight.
> With some turning back and forth, I was able to get one out. I used PB
> blaster on the other three and was able to get them to move a bit, but they
> get stuck and I can no longer turn them. At this point the 3 remaining
screw
> heads are stripped out pretty bad. I am at a loss as to how to get them
out.
> The inside of the console is small so I can't get a dremmel in there to make
> new slot for the screws, I can't really get pliers around them either. I
want
> to replace the same console when I am done, so I don't want to wreck it.
Any