[Roadsters] Stripped screws

Dan Kroninger d_kroninger at hotmail.com
Thu Sep 30 11:46:39 MDT 2010

Hey everyone,

I am trying to remove the center console (arm rest) from my 68 1600 so I can
remove the back piece of carpet.  All four screws are really really tight.
With some turning back and forth, I was able to get one out.  I used PB
blaster on the other three and was able to get them to move a bit, but they
get stuck and I can no longer turn them.  At this point the 3 remaining screw
heads are stripped out pretty bad.  I am at a loss as to how to get them out.
The inside of the console is small so I can't get a dremmel in there to make a
new slot for the screws, I can't really get pliers around them either.  I want
to replace the same console when I am done, so I don't want to wreck it.  Any
suggestions how I can get these screws out?  Power tools will shred the heads
even further since they are so tight.  I am fine getting new screws, since I
will have to anyway, so if the screws get wrecked, that is fine.  The screws
are philips head if that makes a difference.

Thanks if advance for any help you can provide.

Dan Kroninger
68 1600
Dairyland Datsuns