[Roadsters] Timing: I'm not that dumb (am I?)

Graeme graemes at internode.on.net
Tue Sep 7 20:14:40 MDT 2010

Sounds like the results of at least one stray Gamma ray ;)
If you have removed and replaced the distributor and or drive gear, make
sure that the distributor timing is correct at TDC for #1 ON COMPRESSION
STROKE!!!
You can check for spark at TDC but since the cam is 1/2 crank speed it may
still be 180Deg out.
Apart from that it sounds like Murphy has been helping you.

"I was messing with my timing a little bit and now I can't seem to get the
car to start.  I've used all my standard tricks: 1) cleaning the spark
plugs, 2) rotating the distributor to visually confirm that at TDC the rotor
is pointing at the number one plug, 3) confirming spark, 4) confirming fuel,
5) recharging the battery.  And still, no start.  I get a very occational
detonation when I spin the engine but not enough to even get the engine to
sputter over, even once.

What am I missing? Does anyone have any tricks that I can try?  I've tried
with choke, without choke, with throttle and without (but I don't know which
of these works best).

For further background, the car was running rich before I diabled it.

Nathaniel Leeds
'69 2000 -> frustrating."