[Roadsters] To vent or not to vent

Steve Harvey stebharvey at ameritech.net
Sun Mar 21 03:08:20 MST 2010

Group,

I installed an original gas tank on my 68 L18 project car. The tank doesn't
have a return line on it, just the feeder line and an overflow tube from the
filler neck back to the tank. I installed a locking gas cap, added 2 gallons
of fuel and started the engine. It ran for a few minutes and then died and
will not start again. I'm wondering if the keyed gas cap is the problem in
that it may not be vented and causing a fuel flow problem. If the weather
warms up again and I can get the car outside I'll try starting it without
the cap installed. I did find another keyed cap that states that it's a
vented cap. If the problem is indeed caused by lack of venting I'll switch
out the caps. Does this sound like I'm on the right track?

Steve

Milwaukee