[Roadsters] Might as well... Smart upgrades while the engine and trans are out?

Gary and Cindy Ault aultgc at att.net
Thu Mar 18 20:35:21 MST 2010

Keith,

I think I will agitate the List by responding to your note having read the
several responses you received so far.  I have a '66 1600 which I bought
from the original owner in July, 1971.  I put a 1969 U20 motor into it in
1972.  The motor is basically stock.

1.  Lightening the flywheel will improve acceleration slightly.  Do you need
that for the way you drive?

2.  I cannot for the life of me figure out why anyone driving a stock,
street U20 would spend the money to put a gear reduction starter into the
car.  I have a stock U20 starter in mine, and it has started my car reliably
in temperatures ranging from -15F (overnight soak) to 100F for many years.
A racer in Ohio said the gear reduction starter is needed to crank their
high-compression race-prepared 1600.  OK, I'll buy that, but for a stock
motor....???  (Oh, yeah.  I now also have a '67-1/2 2000, into which the PO
put a new gear reduction starter.  I have pulled that out and replaced it
with a stock unit, because a stock starter spins the motor faster, and I
don't need the increased torque produced by a gear reduction unit..)

3.  Pulling the pan and checking the rear main is a good idea, as is
freshening the engine compartment in areas you cannot access with the
engine/trans in the car.  Things like alternator replacement can easily be
done with the engine in the car, if you later decide to do so.

4.  Replace the clutch and throw-out bearing.  A lot of work if you have to
do it for no other reason.  Also replace hoses which cannot be easily
accessed with the engine/trans in the car.  (On the low-windshield cars,
there is a two-inch hose between the heater control valve and the heater
core which is %%$#@$ impossible to replace with the engine in the car.)

Others have expressed their opinions.  There's mine.

Gary