[Roadsters] Body grounds

Gary and Cindy Ault aultgc at att.net
Mon Mar 15 18:35:17 MST 2010

Linda,

When new, each of the lamp assemblies had individual ground wires , which
ran to the body at some point.  None relied on contact between the lamp
assembly and the body.  For example, there should be three wires to each
headlamp -- one for low beam, one for high beam, and a ground.

The alternators have a dedicated ground connection on the housing.  (I am
the second owner of my '66 1600, and it was basically unmolested when I
bought it in 1971.)  There is (I think) a #10 wire from the alternator
housing to the frame.  There is a similar wire from the regulator mounting
bracket to the frame.  There is a ground strap from the frame to the engine
block (added, not original).  There is also a ground wire (real heavy) from
the starter bolt on the trans to the frame nearby.  (That ground was missing
from my '67-1/2 when I bought it a couple of years ago.  Replacing it didn't
make any difference in starter performance, but you can't have too many
grounds.

Gary