[Roadsters] Body grounds

Pat Horne pat at hornesystemstx.com
Mon Mar 15 12:05:52 MST 2010

The headlights and tail lights have ground wires that run back to
grounding points, originally on the frame. Over the years those
connections may have migrated to the body. There are some devices that
use the body for ground, specifically, the door switches and map light.
There are probably more, but I can't remember.

The connection for the front grounds is on the left frame rail, near the
front carb. I believe there is also one behind the rear bumper, near the
license plate light.

The alternator mound is not a reliable ground because the alternator
housing is aluminum and the mount is steel. Galvanic action can build up
corrosion in the joint causing less than perfect grounding.

It's been too long since I've been into my car to be sure of these,
guess I need to get back into the shop and finish the engine rebuild!

Peace,
Pat

Thusly spake ljordan704 at netscape.net, On 3/15/2010 1:10 PM:

--