[Roadsters] update on 1500 VIN's and Motor numbers

Barter Dude barterdude at comcast.net
Sat Mar 6 15:58:03 MST 2010

We have Identified 96 cars.  Nineteen don't have the G motor number, 7 have
indicated running 1600 R motors.  I had a 64 that was converted to a R
motor, but it went to the crusher in 1973 unfortunately.  Don't even have
the VIN off that one.

It appears that by the motor number the first production roadster was around
VIN -00075.  All Roadster from 001 to early 70's had production G motors
ranging from 89000 - 92000, and all were stamped '64.  Best of the research
I can find showed the first 300 roadsters came out with a single carb, but
if they were not sold in 1963, they were retrofitted with a dual intake
manifold and stamped '64 and also shown as 85 HP vs. 77 HP (dual vs. single
carb).

If anyone knows of a VIN ending 00069 - 00075 if you can get me the motor
ID, it would greatly help the debate as to what was the first Fairlady off
the full assembled production line.  It appears all pre 00070 where made
without a motor and put on the shelf for a year.

Gary Lasater

2 - 1963 Fairlady's

  SPL310-00161

  SPL310-00289