[Roadsters] Speedometer installation

MH twobeaners at earthlink.net
Wed Mar 3 08:26:40 MST 2010

Once upon a time I had a speedo quit working in my 4-speed. I asked myself
the same questions and checked in to the problem the same as you're doing. I
eventually pulled the speedo pinion drive out of the tranny tailshaft. It's
held in the tailshaft housing with a little screw and lock plate. It may be
hard to see if it's covered with grime. I discovered the teeth in the nylon
pinion gear were stripped and worn down. I put a new gear in and all was
well.

If you remove and replace the speedo pinion drive for any reason, make sure
you get it seated in the correct orientation. If you look at it, you will
see it is offset by design to allow it to be rotated in the tailshaft
housing for proper adjustment. If it's not adjusted correctly, you'll soon
wear the nylon gear down again. BTDT.
This info also applies to the 5-speed tranny.
Mike Hudson  '67  -Stroker / 5-speed