[Roadsters] Removing the cam

John F Sandhoff sandhoff at csus.edu
Fri Sep 18 11:58:12 MDT 2009

> The engine has been prepped and machined for reassembly, this is
> the final cleaning. Whether the cam came out during the "hot tank the
> block" i have no idea.

This is why I have a quizzical look on my face. If the block was
hot tanked, the cam bearings MUST be replaced because hot-tanking
will destroy the bearings.

So my _assumption_ is the machinist tore down the block,
did the machine, hot-tanked it, installed cam bearings (with
the oil holes lined up), used startup lube while installing the
lifters and cam (keeping the order of the lifters correct), and is
now just saying "make sure everything's still as clean as when
it left the shop".

If I'm wrong, you need another machinist...

Additional notes: You should be able to see/feel the startup lube
around the cam bearings. If you don't I would be concerned.

If you blow out the block with compressed air, you may blow more
crud IN than you blow OUT.

If there's already any crud, chunks, grit particles in there, it needs
to be thoroughly re-cleaned. My opinion...

-- John
     John F Sandhoff   sandhoff at csus.edu   Sacramento, CA