[Roadsters] Semi-OT: Bench grinders

Eddie eddietude at socal.rr.com
Tue Sep 8 09:32:28 MDT 2009

Thought I'd chime in on this one.

Bench grinders can be extremely dangerous.  You've got a wheel spinning
at 5,000 rpm or more.  Trying to grind something on a grinder that isn't
anchored down is asking for trouble.  I've known people who've seriously
messed themselves up, nearly ripped off fingers, ripped apart flesh,
etc, because they decided to use a grinder that wasn't anchored.

It's a bad idea.

All it takes is for you to put too much pressure, or for something to
catch, and that grinder can flip over and go flying.  Now you've got an
object with a spinning wheel tearing around your garage, and you're
right next to it.

If you don't want to loose workbench space, then make some holes and use
bolts and wingnuts so you can remove it quickly and easily.  But PLEASE
don't use a grinder that isn't bolted down.

( I know, now people are going to say they've done it that way for years
and they've never had a problem.  To that I say, you've been lucky.
People drive without seatbelts and survive too, people ride bikes
without helmets and survive.  Just because you've used a grinder that
wasn't bolted down and haven't lost a finger doesn't mean you're not
taking an unnecessary chance every time you do it....)

Better to be safe than sorry...

Eddie