[Roadsters] Composite Fiberglass Leaf Spring Group Buy

Daryl Smith drlsmith at dccnet.com
Thu Jul 30 15:03:31 MDT 2009

I have decided to go with a set of composite fiberglass leaf springs from
Flex-a-Form. I believe, from what I have read, they should be a good
improvement over the stock saggy springs which are in my car at a comparable
price.
We need 8 sets to make the price break. If you are interested, please send me
an email to let me know.

So you are fully informed read the following sites, which, I know, are mostly
geared to selling the stuff. If you have other relevant sites, especially
sites which detail possible problems with the composites, please post them.
The more information the better. This is NOT new technology. Composite springs
have been used in many vehicles, notably Corvettes since 1984, a number of
other GM cars and vans, Volvo 960, and others.

I took a ride in a '68 2000 Solex car with the Flex-a-Form composite
fiberglass springs and was very impressed. The car had "Mike Young" uprated
front springs and the composites were rated at 150 in/lbs, riding on 205/45/16
tires with adjustable shocks. The ride was better than my stock sprung '66
with 185/65/15 tires (nice ride on a road which would rattle your teeth in my
car), and the owner was very happy with the cornering performance as well.
I don't see a downside yet. Lighter, better response, no sagging......If
you've tried the composites on your roadster, please let us know about your
experience with them.

The thread that started the 'monoleaf' search:
http://www.311s.org/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=10068&sid=f07cab61bfb5d6ecc020
f29a1cfd6dce

'Monoleaf' vs Standard leaf spring (with a small blurb on composites):
http://www.eatonsprings.com/monoleaf.htm

MGA/MGB sites:
http://www.mgaguru.com/mgtech/suspensn/rs202.htm
http://www.mgbmga.com/tech/mga10a.htm

A 4x4 site (just for info...):
http://www.bc4x4.com/inthenews/default.cfm?ID=138

Manufacturers:
http://www.flex-a-form.com/products.asp
http://www.hypercoils.com/Products/Hyperco-Composite-Leaf-Springs.aspx
A letter was sent to Hypercoil - their response was as follows:
Reply from Hypercoil:
Daryl,
First off.thanks for the email and your interest in Hyperco products. I took a
look at your links...very cool! You guys certainly have a passion for these
cars and they look absolutely great! As for composite leaf springs,
unfortunately the manufacturing process for this product requires dedicated
tooling / moulds.this makes it highly cost prohibitive on small runs (typical
tooling and assembly fixture costs for a specific design is in the $12K to
$15K range). We have had customers "adapt" existing designs to their
applications. Naturally this works better in some cases than in others. I have
included the information below showing the eye to eye, pin to eye etc. specs
for the GM Camaro and Chrysler Motorsports leafs. My advice is that you
contact a manufacture of steel leafs and give them the dimensions you require
and have them produce replacements (it is relatively easy to roll flat steel
in the arch / shape you require to produce replacement leafs). I would suggest
you contact the folks at Landrum Spring..and speak with Jeff Fuller (800 424
0244) jfuller at mwspring.com.

Sorry I cannot be of more help, thanks for the opportunity and once
again.....cool cars!

Sincerely,
Kelly Falls
General Manager