[Roadsters] Brake line fittings

John F Sandhoff sandhoff at csus.edu
Tue Sep 30 13:46:20 MDT 2008

When discussing brake lines, it was written:
> I have an early model roadster with SAE threads... I would assume
> yours would have metric threads that are standard as well.

As I recall, ALL Roadster years have the same brake fittings. They
did not change year to year, like engine and body pieces. I believe
they are all SAE but don't quote me - they are DIFFERENT than 510
and other Nissan of that era.

The fit is very close and you may not notice the difference, but as I've
said before "please don't trust your life to an 'almost' fit...". Be SURE
you have the correct fittings!

Why I'm really writing is because I read this:
> Hardest part is re-flaring the ends.  Unless you buy a high end flaring
> tool, it can be a real pain.

The author didn't make it explicitly clear that brake lines MUST be
double-flared. That's not an option - they MUST be double-flared.
That's where the end is 'folded' into the pipe and makes a solid
double-walled flare. A single flare can pull loose, crack, and fail in
other ways as well. This is YOUR life, your passengers, pedestrians,
the car in front of you.... Brake lines MUST be double flared.

-- John
     John F Sandhoff   sandhoff at csus.edu   Sacramento, CA