[Roadsters] WOW - Up and running!

speeddemonrs speeddemonrs at cox.net
Sat Sep 20 20:44:57 MDT 2008

Hi all - This is my first post to the group, and have been watching you all
for some time learning all I can. I picked up my first Roadster 2 weeks ago.
1966 1600. The owner told me that it has been sitting for 4 years (garaged,
thankfully) and that an "electrical issue" forced it off the road back then
and has been sitting ever since. When she told me she was having electrical
problems, she continued on telling me that she had an entire new wiring
harness installed, and things were OK - so she though. After she was ready
to go on a trip, the car died, wouldn't start, and that was it 4 years ago.

Months ago, I didn't even know these cars even really existed. I was looking
for a new hobby, and thought that I would like to take on a project car. I
went through thinking that I was going to be building up a Corvair, then
thought if I were going to do that, it should be a convertible. Then I
opened my thoughts and did a search for older convertibles - and fell in
love with the Datsun! I was looking for months and found this car in Kansas.
As I am in Arizona ~ I had a need to leave it there for a few months prior
to picking it up. The owner didn't mind as it had bees sitting there for the
last 4 years, what would another few months hurt.

I have only had it for 2 weeks, and last night I started diving into it.
Drained all the gas, reversed pressurized the lines to clear those, changed
the oil, checked the coolant, cleaned the plugs, lubed the cylinders and
bought a new battery. Today, I put some new gas in it, pressurizes the tank
to force the fuel through to the engine (worked really well!) turned it over
to check the spark. Things looked good!! I then tried to start it. after a
dramatic few turn IT FIRED UP with just a bit of spitting and sputtering!!
Mind you ~ I didn't clean or clear the carbs, or make any adjustments to the
timing at all. I could believe it!!! After it warmed up a bit, the roughness
went away and it purred pretty good. Now I know I need to do some tuning and
such, but am VERY excited that it is ALIVE!! I immediately took it off the
jack stands to see if it would drive. YES!! No real issues. The brakes were
rather mushy - but the ride was smooth, the clutch was good, and the
transmission overall felt really good, from what I could tell.

After my little drive around the block, I started thinking about the
original electrical issue. I pulled back into the garage, left it running,
opened the hood and disconnected the battery. The engine died!! HOLY CRAP!!
The whole time the problem was the alternator!! (or is that a generator in
this car?) Well - either way, I think that was the problem the entire time!

All that being said ~ it doesn't appear that my local auto parts stores have
access to this part. Where would I go to get a new/rebuilt one?!?!?

Robb Shannon

1966 sp311 1600

Surprise, AZ