[Roadsters] Update on Engine Rebuild

Graeme graemes at internode.on.net
Mon Mar 24 21:26:53 MST 2008

 "I don't have any engine lift points on my block (that I can see). Where
should I attach the hoist? I'd rather not take the head off until I get to
class. Can I attach the chain to a manifold stud and then something on the
opposite front side (alternator bracket for example)?"

I would suggest a sling, going under the engine and cradling it completely.
Use either a chain, a long seat belt or tow rope.
You can still position it around engine hardware to keep it in the right
position but I wouldn't trust any fasteners for lifting out the engine and
gearbox.
Least of all a manifold stud, they tend to crystallize with age and heat and
become VERY brittle.
[These should all be renewed during the rebuild]
If you can, try to use a Load Leveller on the hoist.
This device will allow you to alter the load lifting point via screw
adjustment so the angle of the load can be changed.
Helpful to get the engine and 'box to clear the body work.

Checked by AVG.
6:50 PM