[Roadsters] distributors

Patti Dwinell fairlady1964spl310 at yahoo.com
Wed Jul 30 02:52:11 MDT 2008

Gary,
My distributor has two springs of different sizes...one rather hefty wire with
4 windings and the other rather thin wire with 8 windings.  They are both the
same length. The hefty one was not putting any tension on the governor weight
what-so-ever.  The weight literally flops around loosely on it's peg.  I have
a new set of springs.... one larger than the other, like my original ones. (I
believe the part number is 22110-14600.)   I exchanged the hefty springs...old
for new.  It was the same, in that it put no tension on the weight and it too
was floppy. I think this is very odd.  Why would one be so loose? I installed
the new thin one, instead, and it seems a much better fit in that now both
weights have slight tension holding them in toward the cam.  Which is
correct???
Regarding thrust washers...  I've located two part numbers 22117-85060 and
22118-85060.
I believe it was one of the 22118-85060's that I discovered in the bottom of
the housing as a crunched bit of metal.  It is very worn, was all folded up
and broken in half. It appears it didn't get in this condition overnight, so I
was wondering if I should even bother searching for a replacement. What is it
"thrusting" anyway?
I have no idea if this dizzy will work any better clean than when it did
coated in nasty 40 year old grease...but I figured I'd give it another chance.
Thanks!
Patti