[Roadsters] Rough Value of '66 1600?

Vince Strazzabosco vstrazzabosco at yahoo.com
Fri Jul 18 20:41:49 MDT 2008

I just recently joined this list as I'm trying to buy a '66 1600 Roadster that is sitting outside a local junkyard.  I'm getting the idea that the seller may have an inflated idea of the car's value.

It is very complete and original, but much of the chrome and pot metal is pitted to some extent.  It has a title, I'm told, and 68k miles.  It's been sitting there for a while, all tires are flat.  There's no pressure in the brake system or the clutch.  Supposedly the clutch master or slave needed to be replaced.  The car supposedly ran when parked, and I saw nothing to indicate that it didn't.  Depends on just how long it's been sitting, though.

It's been sloppily repainted years ago.  It has rust.  The front fenders swing in the breeze if you pull them, there's some holes towards the back of the rockers, and some bubbles in the rear wheelwell arches.  The trunk is locked, so I haven't been able to dig in there.  The floorpans seem to be good, but I really can't get under the car much.

Rust doesn't scare me, as I have a 1970 BMW 2002ti and a 1974 Alfa Spider as well as a couple of old trucks.  All "rescue" projects.  Mechanicals are easy.

The seller's supposed to call me when he has the key and I can check out the car.  I'll be checking on it tomorrow.  I'm attaching a picture, don't know if it'll go through.

I'm curious if anyone can tell me what is a fair guesstimate of the car's worth as a project, not as a parts car.  I'm all too familiar with the old "It's worth what someone wants to pay", but not all sellers understand that.  I would hate to be thinking $500 if the seller would be right to be thinking $2000.

Comments welcome and appreciated!

vince
Naperville, IL

[demime 1.01d removed an attachment of type image/jpeg which had a name of Datsun]