[Roadsters] Roadsters On Parade

John Klingman jklingman at stny.rr.com
Sun Jul 13 17:13:25 MDT 2008

The 1st Annual Roadsters On Parade in Bristol, VT, had a typical Datsun start,
a bit rought to start but lots of fun when it was up and running. We started
out expecting several roadsters and had one for the parade. After a winter's
work Spike is still at the paint shop. Arrived in Bristol on the 3rd without
Spike to learn George Landis' '69 1600, Pearl, is in the shop. We took George
over to pick up Pearl at a very excellent motor sport shop, bad news...bad
valve. Good news... learned the owner works on another Datsun roadster from
Vergennes, VT, a few miles away. Anybody know who owns that roadster?
  Next problem...a friend had flown up from TX to dress up as Elvis and ride
in Pearl in the parade.  A roadster on the trailer is still a roadster in the
parade. Next problem...a little oversight, no one had registered Pearl for the
parade so we were on the side lines. George and John got enterprising and
approached the local PT Cruiser club that had lined up for the parade in front
of us. Pearl was made an honorary PT ( pretty terrific) Cruiser for the day,
complete with the club's red, white and blue tinsel garland wrapped around
Elvis, so we pulled in behind the Cruisers. Awesome...George and John were in
the truck blasting Elvis songs, Elvis and Priscilla perched on the edge of
Pearl's rear deck hamming it up, I got to "drive" Pearl.
   Fireworks on the 3rd, outhouse races ( yes, you read that right) down Main
Street early on the 4th followed by the parade, super picnic supper at the
Dream House Country Inn on the 5th along with the great drives and the amazing
amount of neat free stuff to do in VT made it a super weekend. Thank you to
Susan and George for putting this together.
   Gloria and John Klingman
   Sidney, NY '68 2000 a.k.a. Spike