[Roadsters] Starter gone or going?

Gary and Cindy Ault aultgc at att.net
Sat Jul 5 14:41:46 MDT 2008

Ritchie,

I'd go for easier possibilities first.  The symptoms you describes can
result from a poor connection somewhere in the electrical circuit -- even
within the battery itself -- resulting in low voltage at the starter.  Trace
the starter ciruit, and make sure all connections are clean and sound.  Make
sure the ground cable from the starter housing to the frame is present and
connections are clean.  Take the battery to a reputable shop and have it
load tested.  (I once had a problem with my '97 Jimmy similar to your
problem.  Turns out the problem was a connection internal to the battery
which sometimes worked, and other times did not.  The security system,
sensing that someone had tampered with the battery, would not allow the car
to start.  I learned this AFTER I had the security system -- an aftermarket
item -- removed.)

If none of the above finds the cause of the problem, you're only out your
time.  And then you get to go after the harder stuff.  I've seen more cars,
particularly multi-owner vehicles, with battery and ground problems than
with starter solenoid problems.

Gary