[Roadsters] Clutch Master Cylinder

Gary and Cindy Ault aultgc at att.net
Sun Dec 21 18:16:02 MST 2008

Ed,

Dewey is correct.  DOT5 is silicone fluid.

I have used DOT5 in my car (brakes and clutch) for ~25 years.  I ran
denatured alcohol through the system (from the master cylinder out, just
like bleeding the system) to flush the old DOT3 (petroleum-based) fluid,
then thoroughly flushed the system with DOT5 before buttoning it up.  No
leakage or hydraulic problems since.  I see no downside whatsoever.

But, like Dewey suggested, you should probably check the discussions on
311s.org to get a broader perspective.

Gary