[Roadsters] What oil to use in U20?

datsun_nut at ns.sympatico.ca datsun_nut at ns.sympatico.ca
Mon Dec 15 07:23:45 MST 2008

Hello all,

I have been watching from Nova Scotia these last months (years) often enjoying and learning from the threads

I have chosen to jump in here as this is something that I have thought about and researched.

Following my rebuild, I ran Quaker State Deluxe 5W-30 for the first 'easy' 600 miles or so.

For the remainder of that year I ran 10W-40 QS, did about 4000 miles.

The following year, after storage, as I run the car hard(ish) I switched to Valvoline Synthetic European spec 10W-40. While it seemed to work OK, I was a little concerned with the time for the timing chain tensioner (about 3-4 seconds of chain trauma)

I then discovered Mobil 1 5W-50 synthetic. Nice and light for cold and cool startup, short chain noise (2-3 seconds) with good pressure and protection at higher temps. I also run QS synthetic in gearbox and diff. Oil leakage and excessive consumption are not concerns.

Thanks to everyone and all the best in the upcoming Holiday season (in these challenging times)
Damian Hall
Pictou NS
69 2000 solex
88 300ZX
87 XJ6
You said>>>>>
What oil to people use? I have been using 10-40 at sea level, but, it seems
like its slow to get flowing (strangely high pressure during the first 5
minutes of driving) and burns straight through the engine when I run it hard (1
qt. every 250 miles). After I've been running it hard for an hour the oil
pressure at idle drops to nothing -- these readings all from my super-reliable
original in dash four-cluster (so take with a huge grain of salt)

I'm tempted to try 5w-50 but thought I'd pick the big brains before I did
anything that drastic.

Nathaniel
u20-69 SU's (having too much fun)