[Roadsters] Harnesses, not helmets...

racery at comcast.net racery at comcast.net
Tue Dec 18 09:45:41 MST 2007

Amusingly, in many states, it's illegal to wear a helmet while driving a car, too, even
though NO ONE can argue it's less safe.

About harnesses, though- if you're modifying a car, even a very safe part can kill you if it's not done right.
I'd never put a harness into a car without a stout, well- mounted roll bar.  I have this fear
of getting squished...

And while it's not an issue in a Roadster, if you put a 5- point harness into a modern car
with a smart airbag system, you probably aren't making it much safer.  The automobile manufacturers
do an insane amount of testing on sleds for this stuff, and a modern car uses a lot of neat
tricks to slow you down safely.  A harness may just stop you, and as they say, it's not the drop, it's the sudden stop
at the end that's the problem...

So, the laws aren't entirely stupid- they're just stupid in our cases!

Toby