[Roadsters] Non-op registration in WA state

Gary McCormick gkmcc at sbcglobal.net
Wed Aug 29 12:55:44 MDT 2007

Vehicle was "op" when last registered, reg'n lapsed before "non-op" became an option (>18 years ago). Based on what I have read on the DMV website, I won't have to shell out that much.

However, there is a hitch in my plan - the DMV requires the vehicle to be certified by an authorized DMV employee, which means that you have to get it to the DMV. If it is unregistered, it is illegal to drive it to the DMV, so you have to tow it - on a truck or trailer, because the wheels of an unregistered vehicle are not allowed to touch the road! As my car is currently non-op (physically non-op, not just reg'n-wise), towing would be my only option if I wanted to get the reg'n back on the books.

Gary McCormick
San Jose, CA
'70 2000 SRL311-13291

Eric Gillis <egillis at ceres.k12.ca.us> wrote: Gary-

Yes you can re-reg a car that was once on non-op.  The Cali-nazis DMV will want to collect any past non-op fees for the lapsed years and, of course, this years reg.  Be thankful it was regged as non-op, I found an early Supra to register, and it hadn't been regged for 3 years (not regged as non-op) and ended up paying almost $300 to bring the reg up to date.

Eric G
waiting for time to do a rear main seal...