[Bricklin] Air Door Regulator/Fittings

John T. Blair jblair1948 at cox.net
Wed Jul 19 07:36:00 MDT 2017

At 09:40 PM 7/17/2017, Alan Coleman wrote:

 >During the ongoing 20 year restoration project of #246, I've added
Terry's air
 >headlight system and the 150psi compressor (and air line)  that BP&S sells.
 >Well I pressured up the system today for the first time since adding the
 >compressor and the air door system, that I bought from Terry in 1978 (which
 >used 110-115PSI), was overwhelmed by 150PSI.  The regulator and a couple of
 >the old barb style air line fittings are leaking.  The regulator
was the Watts
 >363 01.  What regulator are people currently using and what
fittings do I need
 >for the regulator and the valves to secure the air lines.

Alan,

I'm supprised that no one else has answered via the mailing
list.  You may have
had some private responces.  So there is a public responce, I'll try
to answer your questions.

First off, the 150 psi compressor.  Yes the compressor can generate
150 psi, but
it doesn't have to.  The pressure the compressor delivers is controlled by the
pressure switch.  You can get several different value for pressure switches.

http://www.viaircorp.com/electrical/pswitches/

The higher the pressure the more current the compressor takes, and the more
times the doors can be cycled before there isn't enough air pressure
to raise the
doors.

If you don't like the 150 psi, you might want to try either 120 or
105 psi switches.
Of the 2, I'd probably go with the 120 psi switch.

As to the regulator, the one that came with my Tanner air system had a brass
body.  Most of the ones I'm seeing today appear to have a plastic
body.  Here is
a decient one:

http://www.viaircorp.com/air-accessories/pressure-regulator/

Finally to the fittings.  Terry used a fitting similar to this:

http://www.viaircorp.com/fittings/lockertanks/

You usually can get fitting locally at a industrial supply shop or
any place that works
on truck air brakes.  You can also get a different fitting from the
local hardware store.  If you get them from the local hardware store,
you will need the nut, ferrel,
and the tube insert in addition to the seat.  If you are using the
fitting like viair sells,
and you don't get the tube inserts, as you tighten the nut, and it
compresses the
ferrel, it will deform the tubing and the system will leak!

I've looked through my files and can't find a picture of the inserts,
but I know we
did a number of articles about this in the "What they're up to"
section of The Brickline from 1997 to 2015.

John

John T. Blair  WA4OHZ     email:  jblair1948 at cox.net

Morgan:    www.team.net/morgan

 From Dennis Prager - The American Trilogy:
      e pluribus Unum, "from many, one."
      In God We Trust
      Liberty - the  power  of  choosing,  thinking,  and  acting  for
                   oneself; freedom  from  control  or  restriction

---