[Bricklin] Bricklin 0224 in TN For Sale

John T. Blair jblair1948 at cox.net
Fri Nov 7 07:48:06 MST 2014

I've been asked to send the out to the list:

John

-----------------

In the market for a really nice, all original, '74 Bricklin that look
as good as it did 40 years ago.  I have decided to offer #0224 for
sale.  I have a few pictures that I can email if interested.

#0224 is suntan, automatic, with 7,559 original miles. I'm second
owner for 37 years as of November 2014.  Contact me, Willy D. Holmes,
at 423-538-4792 and or email at willydn10ec at centurylink.net.  The car
is located in Bluff City, TN.

#0224 has never seen snow, has never been left to sit cooking in the
sun, and for the last 37 of its 40 years that I've owned the car it
has never seen rain or been wet underneath.

My car would be the car for someone that absolutely wants to start
out with one of the best offerings available, a car that is as close
as it gets in appearance, originality, and color shades inside and
out, as it was when it left the factory.

A little insight on my car is that it would especially appeal to a
person that recognizes the inherent values in owning a low mileage
car, and appreciates and understands how a car this age remains a new
looking low mileage car.

My meaning is, the only way any car remains with truthfully very low
mileage and run time is by not driving it, or destroying it by
routinely or occasionally starting and idling it. The only acceptable
alternative to this is to store the car properly in the dry out of
the sun. My car has low mileage because it has not been driven.

Keep in mind a 40 year old car with average miles would have 480,000
to 600,000 miles on it. A 40 year old car driven an average of only
50 miles per week would have over 100,000 miles on it. That's over 13
times the miles on mine.

One that is started weekly and idled for the equivalent based on 40
mph average would have 2,500 hours of idle time or 1.2 hours per
week. No one would run one that much but they may for a few minutes
weekly. A car that is run for 20 minutes per week for 40 years would
have 693 hours of idle time.

This may sound benign to some because it is significantly less time
wise. The problem is no amount of just idling and "free revving"
weekly will purge the moisture from an engine.Therefore week to week
the engine never has time to thoroughly dry out, and most likely
would not even start at some point early on in the process of weekly
idling cycles.

The engine would be completely ruined inside top to bottom from the
moisture. Needless to say the exhaust system would be gone, and the
transmission would be damaged by the condensation from heating and
cooling cycles as well.
I know this to be true from many years of first hand experience.

The saddest and most memorable example of mistakenly not storing a
car is from hunting the period correct parts by the numbers for
restoring a pink '62 Thunderbird bought new for a customers
wife.  The owners thought they were doing right by the car by trying
to run it every week until it quit starting up. Then they stored it.
The cast iron exhaust manifolds were even ruined from the moisture.
Everything had to be replaced inside the engine, including the block,
from the aluminum intake down, except for the rods.

Most importantly my point is, my car has Not been ruined with
moisture by starting it and Not driving it.This is the absolute worst
mistake with good intentions that can be done to a car.

Lastly a great point of appeal is that my car is untouched. Over the
years it has not been irreversibly molested by multiple owners and or
so called "mechanics" that disregarded the integrity of the car in
favor of doing it like they perceive things should be done regardless
of the consequences, such as : "Cool hack job customizing",including
arbitrary holes of all sizes, or OEM changes, cobbled up wiring jobs
for stereo installation and other electrical add ons, or if I just
cut this out of the way I can get this part in without taking that
off kind of things that happens to cars.

John T. Blair  WA4OHZ     email:  jblair1948 at cox.net

 From Dennis Prager - The American Trilogy:
      e pluribus Unum, "from many, one."
      In God We Trust
      Liberty - the  power  of  choosing,  thinking,  and  acting  for
                   oneself; freedom  from  control  or  restriction

---