[Bricklin] Resending to Team

Paul J. Amoroso paul-amo at comcast.net
Thu May 27 14:26:45 MDT 2010

Hi

Thanks to all the responses.  I had to dig my car out of the junk that
was piled up on and around my car in the garage.

In answer to Rick's questions and Scott's and Marvin's:

When the pedal is first pumped, there is no discernible spray until
about 60 or better.  So your analysis, I follow.  The gas isn't to the
carb at that point.  Then after it gets there it takes a few more to
have enough in the carb to fire.  I don't drive my car much (has only
about 17K original miles) but I start it and let it run until warm at
least once every two months.  Have been doing this since 1982, when I
bought it.  But usually after one or two days, I would still have to
pump it like 75 times to start it.

When I rebuilt the carb, about 15 years ago, I THINK (not positive) that
I looked at the accelerator pump check valve.

If I don't pump the gas pedal prior to even cranking, it would take
forever to build up enough to start.  So there IS a leak somewhere,
probably internally, like a seal or gasket. (I never have any fuel on
the floor or anywhere). It runs fine, just takes a lot to get it started.

By the way, I got an e-mail to me, not the whole group, of someone else
who has the exact same thing happening to him.

So based on your questions and discussions, I think you've led me to the
prime suspect being the fuel pump.  Thank you for your exceptional
insights.  I'll have to get the new pump and follow up to let you know.
Thanks again.

Paul

Rick at High Tech Coatings wrote:

first if the fuel bowl was full of fuel it would only take about 1015 pumps
for the accelerator pump to empty it, so pumping 75 time is worthless. If the
bowl is empty 75 pumps is just an exercise in futility.

questions:
how much shot does the fuel pump have?
is it shooting all 75 pumps?
How long has the car sat before you have to do this routine?
are there any stains on the intake?
did you check the accelerator pump check valve when you rebuilt your carb?

when one of my cars sit for a long time I usually crank it till it builds oil
pressure, then the fuel pump should have filled the carb, give a pump or 3 and
it starts right up, if not I fill the carb with gas thru the vent and it
starts immediately

Rick