[Bricklin] automotive Lift

JLC breton48 at live.com
Tue Jul 13 16:24:48 MDT 2010

I got John Blair's email, but not the one he was responding to... Last year,
I looked at the kind of lift John is talking about, but decided to go for a
full size lift instead. I realize I am lucky to have a 45'x 45' barn to put
the lift in. I made sure I would have 14' clearance to the rafters when I
had the barn built.

First I had to decide between two or four post lift. For safety reasons (I
am far from a professional technician), I chose a four post lift, but with
two rolling jacks - again, much safer than bottle jacks and I can lift the
vehicle off the four post tracks to work on brakes or suspension.

Then I had to decide on the brand. After looking at as many brands as I
could find online, I chose a Bendpak HD-9 and the rolling jacks are RJ-45. I
liked the sturdy built, the center position of the lifting cables inside the
posts, and this was the only "hobby lift" I could find ETL approved. I hoped
the equipment would be made in the USA, but this was not to be. Bendpak used
to make all their lifts in the USA, but mine came with a "made in China"
sticker, and the rolling jacks too.  I also bought a 8 gallon oil drain - I
just changed the oil/filter and lubed the Bricklin on the lift this
afternoon.

Certainly a more expensive proposition than the Kwiklift, but I do not
regret the purchase, except maybe the rolling jacks as I have not used them
yet! By the way, the rolling jacks are quite pricey. I paid $1210 for each
jack. The lift was $2660. To this you might have to add transport (sometimes
shipping is free), and installation (which I think is never free). I know
some might want to install the lift themselves, but after watching the two
installers do it, I am glad I decided not to tackle the job on my own.

I have been very pleased with the Bendpak, and here is a link to this lift
on the Benpak website:

http://www.bendpak.com/car-lifts/four-post-lifts/HD-9.aspx

JLC

-
John wrote:
Last year, Ken - on the Yahoo Bricklin group, posted a short piece about
not being able to get a lift.  So he was looking at other options,
inparticularly
the Kwiklift:

<http://www.kwiklift.com/features-all.htm>http://www.kwiklift.com/features-a
ll.htm

I was wondering if any one has one of these and how they like it.

I was trying to get Ken to write an article about it, but he didn't have
one.
He was hoping to get one by Aug. of this year.  I've emailed him to see if
he's still planning on it, but haven't heard back from him yet.

John