[Alpines] brake problem

Bill Mounce bmounce at rcn.com
Tue Dec 30 14:46:13 MST 2008

Happy New Year to all:

I picked up my 67 Alpine from a friend who finished off the wiring and
interior.  Looks great, just about finished, one or two problems that can
wait for spring.  One that can't, however, is a brake problem I encountered
on my way home.  After about 15 miles, I found that when I clutched to
shift, the car slowed down!  I then noticed when on a hill with no hand
brake and in neutral, the car would not roll.  I pulled over and think I saw
smoke from the passenger rear brake; I could be wrong.  However, with the
car off, the brake lights were on.  After about 20 minutes the brake lights
went off and the car rolled again.  I drove about 3 miles home and parked
it.

I know how to wring out the braking system, but before I start, are there
any usual suspects?  Does this sound familiar to anyone?

Thanks in advance,

Bill Mounce

Easton, PA