[6pack] [TR] Re-installing Front Suspension Springs

Rochlin Robert rrochlin at comcast.net
Thu Apr 13 07:24:35 MDT 2023

	Thanks to everyone for their input on my reinstalling the front springs into my TR6. I appreciate your taking the time to share your expertise.
	I did manage to reinstall the springs yesterday with a small modification to the AutoZone spring compressor.  I’m amazed that my first go around in installing the springs was so uneventful that I had no recollection of any difficulty.  I did find the steel rod, nuts and plate that I apparently used to compress the springs last time, but as I compressed the spring I could see that I was headed for trouble.  The springs need to be compressed far more than I had the confidence to use that rig on.  Dave and Randy correctly pointed out that hardware threaded rod is not suitable for spring compression.  To get the springs compressed enough to slip into the spring pan requires a lot of compression force and, as was pointed out, putting something under that much compression force can be dangerous.
	I am going to send the photos I posted to the list to Polybush, but I’m not hopeful of much of a response. My guess is that I’m not the only one who the only one who has had such a catastrophic failure of their bushes and they may be playing big time defense and denial.
	Lastly, best wishes to Mark and team.net.  We all owe you a debt of gratitude for helping us to keep our cars on the road by facilitating sage lister advice.
	Best,
	Bob
	“72 TR6