[6pack] Distributor Pedestal Sits Too High on Drive Shaft Gear

Bob Lang robert.lang.tr6 at gmail.com
Thu Jul 1 18:22:30 MDT 2021

I'll bet your distributor drive gear is NOT engaging the oil pump drive.
With the distributor gear out you should be able to turn the oil pump tang
with a long screwdriver.  If not, the oil pump shaft is too tight in the
bushing in the block. If your machinist drove the bushing out, chances are
they peened over the bushing on one end or both ends. I just had this
problem a couple of days ago.  Drop the pan and remove the oil pump and try
to fit the shaft into the block. It should rotate easily. Same for the
distributor drive gear. Once you know those are free it should be easy to
drop the gear in. Note that it spins clockwise as it slips in.

Good luck!

Bob Lang