[6pack] More work done today

Richard Lindsay richardolindsay at gmail.com
Fri Dec 13 06:19:54 MST 2019

Hey friends,
   Today I head back to my shop to work on the TR6. Its 'glue carpet to the
sills day'. And with that glue drying, I will lay in the floor carpets and
stick the edges in place with the industrial Velcro that I bought
(following Sloane's sage advice about removability).
   With the sills covered I can also install the kick panels. I carpeted
them when last working at the shop. I ended up using the original heavy
fiberboard substrate that was in the car. When I trial fitted the panels I
realized that the shape deformations were actually a good thing. They were
caused by the underlying harness, etc.. By reusing those cards, the panels
will not be stressed and trying to pull free, just to be flat again. Good
or bad plan, that's what I have chosen to do.
   I will also complete the upholstery on the triangular braces at the rear
of the door openings. They need to be finished before the sill carpet is
fitted. To form the shape of the triangles, Moss included heavy fiberboard
pieces for the edges and insides of the triangles. The edge of the
fiberboard pieces had to be folded over 90° to create the proper edge
geometry. And although scored by their maker, the fold was impossible by
hand. I had to clamp the edge in the vice and progressively hammer the
fiberboard to the 90° shape! Both pieces are now the right shape and will
be installed without cement between the cards and the car, as per original,
with the upholstery vinyl holding them in place. I guess that scheme was to
make the original pieces easy to remove without leaving debris on the metal
triangle beneath. Perhaps I am giving Triumph / British Leyland far to much
insightful credit?!
   If I get all of this work done, I have to decide whether to next carpet
the rear parcel shelf and add the upholstery panels, or go to work on the
seats. I probably should switch emphasis to the seats, driver's side first,
so I can once again, safely move the car.

Rick