[6pack] TR6 lug nut torque spec

Michael Porter mdporter at dfn.com
Wed Jul 12 12:46:11 MDT 2017

On 7/12/2017 9:47 AM, Yahoo via 6pack wrote:
> 80 ft lbs is correct for TR6 disc wheels?    I've seen a lesser amount
> in some manuals if memory serves (most of the time!)
>
> Hope you're having good driving where you are.

I think the confusion stems from a change in the strength of the wheel
stud.  The factory TR4-4A manual specifies 45-55 lb-ft.  The factory TR6
manual specifies 80 lb-ft.  Both studs, however, are 7/16 UNF
(7/16-20).  Generic torque charts show 80 lb-ft (dry) as recommended for
a grade 8 7/16-20 fastener, so I'm guessing that earlier studs were ~
grade 6, while later studs are grade 8. Something to remember if one is
using boneyard front hubs from an earlier TR4A.

This, of course, would apply to stock lug nuts with disc wheels.
Probably best to use manufacturers' recommendations for non-stock lug
nuts and/or alloy wheels.  Chromed lug nuts probably are treated as if
lubricated, so torque values of those would likely be a bit lower.

Cheers.

--

Michael Porter
Roswell, NM

Never let anyone drive you crazy when you know it's within walking distance....