[6pack] Strange Vibration

RW rmweber_99 at yahoo.com
Thu Aug 25 17:48:14 MDT 2016

Hi Sloane,
I sympathize with you. I've been going through the exact same thing
since I rebuilt my TR6 10 years ago. When it first started happening,
right around 50mph, I could feel it slightly in my seat. All the
universal joints, all the suspension parts and links were new from my
frame off. I rotated the brand new tires and rebalanced which didn't
seem to help. I bought replacement steel wheels, dial indicated them and
and remounted the tires on the best I had with no change. I purchased
some Minilites, no change (but I wanted to get those anyway and the car
looks cool). I replaced the rear hubs with Goodpart hubs. A slight
change in the seat vibration but still there. After a couple more years,
the vibration got steadily worse and the front end started vibrating
quite noticeably at 50. I ended up removing the front wheel hubs and
truing them up in my lathe. No change. I've now replaced just about
everything and was at the end of the line until I mentioned it to a
friend of mine with a Six a few states away who I see occasionally at TR
events. He had the same problem and went through similar trials and
tribulations until he rebuilt the steering rack. That cured it for his
case. Thats now on my list for the winter months as a last resort to try.

I'm not saying this is your problem but it might be something to
consider. Have any other 6pack members experienced anything similar with
their steering racks?

Ron